The second theatre to open in Anderson was ‘The Palace Electric.’ It opened May 3, 1907. U.G. Salla was the proprietor, and the location of this theatre was 114 North Main Street. It had live entertainment and moving pictures. Their first picture was,“The Truant.”
In 1913, the theatre dropped live entertainment and went to movies only. The pictures were one-reelers running from six to nine minutes each, so it took five or six pictures for a program. The theatre also dropped the name, “Palace” in 1913. Their slogan was “Mutual Movies Make Time Fly. Five pictures for 10 cents.” The Theatre closed in September, 1914.
The third theatre to open was “The Park Theatre.” It opened May 6, 1907 and was located in Buena Vista Park, just off East River Street. On summer nights, movies were exhibited both inside and outside the pavilion, and they were free. The Anderson Traction Company financed the entertainment, getting its money back by way of increased patronage from the streetcars. This theatre closed on January 10, 1911.
The fourth theatre was “The Airdome.” It opened in 1909. The location was 210 North Main Street, where the Sullivan Building now stands. The Airdome was an early day version of the drive-in. It had no roof. Patrons sat on wooden benches under the stars. When it rained, the show was called off. It also closed in 1909.
The fifth theatre to open was “The Knickerbocker.” It opened March 27, 1911 in the first block of West Whitner Street. The theater opened with a vaudeville billing, “Caldwell & Pelton,” a comedian, Jimmy Tucker, and a complete change of motion pictures daily. Mrs. Charles Spearman played piano. McConnell and Smite were the proprietors, and W. N. Landis was the manager. Photoplays took second billing in this theatre also. It closed May 20, 1912.
The sixth theatre to open was “The Lyric.” It opened July 3, 1911 at 133 North Main Street, where the Towne House used to be. At first, it was a movie theatre, but later had some stage shows. It was opened by a Mr. Wilson and closed May 20, 1913.